Kwoomac

Heavenly Hydrangeas: A Practical Guide for the Home Gardener
Joan Harrison
The Uninvited Guests
Sadie Jones
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald At first, like Nick, I didn't know what to make of Gatsby. Things didn't add up. He seemed like a fraud. As the story evolved, so did my feelings about Gatsby. I'm sure it says something about me, but I love the combination of bluster and naïveté. Gatsby broke my heart with how unrelenting he was in his pursuit of riches in order to win over Daisy. Most men would have moved on. The fact that he threw all those parties while remaining aloof and unknown to his guests- this broke my heart.

I didn't remember just how clever Fitzgerald was with his characters. At the same time he was tackling some very serious social issues, he managed to add comedic moments throughout. I don't have the book in front of me but I'm thinking of the drunken guest who ran off the road, the guy in Gatsby's library, the piano playing boarder. They all had some great moments.

I'm going to rewatch the 1974 movie with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. My recollection was that they were perfect for their roles. The upcoming over-the-top remake with Leonardo DiCaprio boggles the mind.