Kwoomac

Heavenly Hydrangeas: A Practical Guide for the Home Gardener
Joan Harrison
The Uninvited Guests
Sadie Jones
The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving - Jonathan Evison I started out feeling manipulated by the author. Protag Ben Benjamin becomes the personal care attendant to a gutsy teen Trev who has muscular dystrophy. If it isn't hard enough trying to maneuver through the teens years, Trev has the additional curse of failing health, life in a wheel chair, an overprotective mother, and a father who left shortly after Trev's diagnosis. Cue violin music. So, on my guard, I read on. And fell in love with all the characters. Every single character is flawed. And cynical. And in pain.

Ben has suffered a tragic loss and he expects very little from life. Here are his words: Who wants to live in a world where suffering is the only thing that lasts, a place where every single thing that ever meant the world to you can be stripped away in an instant? And it will be stripped away, so don't fool yourself. Get the picture? Ben is a morose guy who can't get out of his own way. You don't blame him because something horrific and life-changing did happen, so I was rooting for him even when he was a complete downer.

It turns out that Ben's indifference to the world is just what Trev needs to jump start his own life. Road trip! Yes, they meet a cast of characters, and yes, they get both Trev and Ben to figure out what matters. So what, I love a good road trip.

And finally, of course I cried, but not 'til the very last page.