Kwoomac

Heavenly Hydrangeas: A Practical Guide for the Home Gardener
Joan Harrison
The Uninvited Guests
Sadie Jones
How to Say Goodbye in Robot - Natalie Standiford 3.5 stars Beatrice and her family relocate to Baltimore just in time for her senior year in high school. She attends a small private school with only 40 seniors so everyone pretty much hangs out together by default. So even though the rest of the class has been together since kindergarten, there is none of that "you're an outsider" stuff here. There is one exception to this, Jonah, also known as Ghost Boy. He's been a loner since his mother and twin brother died in a car accident when he was around 7. He lives with his father. The two are not very close.

Jonah and Bea become inseparable best friends. They spend their days together at school and their nights together(each in their own bedroom)listening to a late night talk radio show which attracts loners and offbeat characters. My favorite scene in the book was when the radio host took a few lucky listeners on an imaginary magic carper ride high over Baltimore. It was sad and beautiful at the same time.

There's lots of teen angst. Not surprising with all the issues that go along with the end of something crashing into the beginning of something new and different. At the same time, Bea's parents are struggling with their marriage. Her father deals with it by disappearing into his job. Her mother deals with it by going a little wacky.

The writing is wonderful and fun.I love bea's voice. Here's her description of the hot boy at school: Before he sat down, my internal heat-seekers sensed what was coming my way: deep blue eyes that melted girls like Velveeta in a microwave. I tried to resist those microwave eyes, but sometimes there's no defense against them.

This book is quietly special. A lot of character development at a leisurely pace.