Kwoomac

Heavenly Hydrangeas: A Practical Guide for the Home Gardener
Joan Harrison
The Uninvited Guests
Sadie Jones
Down the Rabbit Hole - Peter Abrahams i haven't come across a lot of mysteries aimed at the YA audience. This one was perfectly servicable. Ingrid is a 13 year old girl. She play soccer, acts in the local troupe, generally gets good grades. Completely believable. Then she decides to investigate a murder of a woman she knows marginally. Although I do enjoy murder mysteries, I never quite get why someone wants to butt into a murder investigation. Interviewing people you don't know, sneaking around at night, breaking into places. I don't get it. I am happy to do my armchair investigation, as they do all the work. As this was a YA novel, it was pretty clear early on who the bad guy was. So not too much of a mystery.

Things I had a hard time with:

Ingrid's brother is clearly using steroids and this never gets resolved. Maybe it gets more facetime in the next book of the series, but it was unsettling. Ty punches Ingrid in the face in a rage and there really isn't anymore discussion about it. She chooses not to tell her parents, blaming the back eye on the dog.

The bad guy is trying to kill our heroine, a thirteen year old girl. Super creepy.

The police chief has a heart-to-heart talk with Ingrid and promises her nothing she tells him will leave that room. Hello, this guy is a) the chief of police and plenty of what she tells him should be used in the court case and b) he's a mandated reporter and some stuff should maybe get followed up on (ie. stealing a car, breaking and entering, getting punched by her brother...)

There was the slightest hint that her father was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. Maybe some unethical work thing or maybe an affair. Again, this didn't get much attention in the story.

I might have to read another book in the series to see if any of my issues get cleared up.

Favorite character: Definitely Grampy.