Kwoomac

Heavenly Hydrangeas: A Practical Guide for the Home Gardener
Joan Harrison
The Uninvited Guests
Sadie Jones
The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick This was a cool book. I was pulled in right from the beginning. Many of the illustrations had so much detail I hated to move on with the story.I loved the setting. It reminded me of the worlds I created as a kid, where I could escape behind the walls of rooms to find myself in another place. I don't know if the train station in paris actually has hidden rooms but I hope so. Then there's the orphan ,Hugo, who is just trying to survive while he waits for the return of his not-so-loving uncle who unbeknownst to Hugo is dead and lying on the bottom of the Seine. I'd like to think I'm not the only child who fantasized about being on my own. very cool. The story about the automaton was fascinating as well. I want one. I'd love to learn more about this and in fact there is more info about them at www.fi.edu/pieces/knox/automaton/. check it out.

The rest of the story about the movie guy was less riveting for me and at times i was bored by it. There was never any explanation about why this guy completely gave up making movies and became resentful, angry, and anti-film (and anti-automatons). I could see if the film world had something to do with the loss of his friends but I don't think it did. no connection, no explanation. Also, I thought the pictures that Georges Mieles created were creepy. Interesting but creepy and it made me wonder who the target audience was for this book.

I'm glad I bought this and didn't just borrow it from the library because the pictures are definitely worth another look.